Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists

The world of expertise knows no boundaries. Professionals, researchers, and specialists contribute to a variety of projects and initiatives that require their unique skills and insights. Australia acknowledges the significance of such expertise and provides a platform for specialists to share their knowledge through the Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists (Subclass 400).

The Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists is a short-term visa that allows talented individuals to enter Australia for short-term, extremely specialized work. Short-term is less than 3 months, albeit visas can be given for up to 6 months in exceptional situations. This visa category bridges geographical gaps, fostering the exchange of insights, collaboration, and innovation.

What Can You Do with Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists?

This visa allows the bearer to work in Australia for a limited time, on a highly specialized basis. Under certain conditions, the visa holder may engage in an activity or work related to Australia’s interests. An application for a Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists may include family members.

Who is Eligible to Apply for the Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists?

This visa is available to highly skilled employees with a short-term work interest in Australia. Although a 400 visa does not require corporate sponsorship, an official letter of support from an Australian business is generally necessary for any subclass 400 visa application. To apply for this visa, you must be living outside Australia and;

  • You will boost Australian companies.
  • Possess skills, expertise, and knowledge that are unavailable in Australia.
  • You will be undertaking temporary employment with no option of extension.
  • You will be directing or producing a project that will be shown outside of Australia.
  • Staying in Australia legally as a guest immigrant.

It is important to bear in mind that if you work in the entertainment industry and intend to act as an artist or entertainer or take part in any works that will be aired or transmitted in Australia, you cannot apply for a visa.

READ MORE:  Australia Immigration - A quick guide to Smooth Relocating To Australia

How Do I Secure a Subclass 400 Visa?

The subclass 400 visa has two criteria areas.

  • The Highly Sophisticated Work Stream

It must be proven that the work in question is highly specialized and that the candidate possesses the necessary skills. The work must not be continuous in nature. This implies that the task will most likely be done within three months. A stay of up to 6 months may be considered where there is a solid and compelling business case. Employees cannot be “rotated” through the same position.

  • Stream of Interests in Australia

In most cases, this would entail proving compelling circumstances affecting Australia’s goals, such as:

Significant emergencies or natural disasters

Influence on Australia’s diplomatic, trade, or commercial interests

Significant boost and growth as a result of the individual’s contribution

Key Facts About the Application Process for the Subclass 400 Work Visa

Sponsors and/or recommendations are not necessary for a subclass 400 visa application as Applicants must be in excellent health and have adequate means to maintain themselves in Australia. There is no specified age limit for candidates for this visa type. The application must be submitted online. When applying for this visa, you must be somewhere other than Australia.

Documents Required for the Application Process for the Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists

To apply for a 400 visa, you must put together the following documents:

  • Passports and identification documents are required. At the time of application, you must have a valid passport, and you may need to submit additional identifying documents such as an ID card or certificate of name change (if applicable).
  • Work demonstration. A 400 visa requires proof that you will be working in Australia during your stay. You may send a letter of invitation, a job offer, an employment contract, or any other document that shows the duration of your employment, the type of work you will be doing, the reason for your visit to Australia, and so on.
  • Proof of financial assistance. You must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself and your family in Australia. Financial bank statements and job contracts are acceptable forms of verification.
  • Qualifications must be demonstrated. You must demonstrate that you have the necessary skills for the type of work for which you are applying. You can include your CV, licenses, and qualifications, as well as a statement from your overseas company outlining your tasks and present status.
  • Proof of your good character. When and if you are required to produce character evidence, the Department of Home Affairs will notify you.
  • Proof of honest need for your job. If you are hired, your company must demonstrate that there is a real need for someone with your experience and that Australian citizens and permanent residents will not be disregarded for this post.
  • Documents for your spouse. If you bring your partner, please bring their identification, character documents, marriage certificate, or registered relationship (if applicable).
  • The Documents for minors below the age of eighteen. Provide the younger children’s birth certificates or other documentation proving that they are related to you, as well as a parental permission form 1229 or a statutory declaration.
  • Documents for children above the age of 18 (dependent). Provide identification documents, character documents, dependency form 47a, and other proof of dependency if you have any adult children who are reliant on you for various reasons.
READ MORE:  What is Australian Temporary Activity Visa - Subclass 408

Cost and Processing Time for a Subclass 400 Work Visa

Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists costs about AUD315, but if you are visiting Australia as a representative of a foreign government, you do not have to pay the charge.

You must pay extra costs for any family members who apply with you; your visa application will not be processed until the whole fee is paid.

Visa subclass 400 applications are typically processed in 36 days. Some applications, however, may be processed in as little as 13 days.

Scope of Work and Activities Covered on a subclass 400 work visa

The Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 400) covers a broad range of activities, including:

  • Participation in Projects: Specialists can engage in projects, events, or activities that demand their specific expertise.
  • Research Collaborations: Experts can collaborate on research initiatives, providing unique insights and contributing to the project’s success.
  • Knowledge Transfer: Visa holders can play a pivotal role in transferring their skills and knowledge to local professionals, fostering skill enhancement.

Expanding Global Networks

This visa not only enhances collaboration within Australia but also expands global networks. Professionals who engage in projects under this visa often establish valuable connections that can lead to further collaborations and opportunities in the future.


The Temporary Work Visa for Short-Stay Specialists (Subclass 400) signifies Australia’s open arms to specialists from around the world, inviting them to contribute their expertise to elevate local initiatives and collectively address challenges that transcend borders. As specialists step onto Australian shores under the banner of the Subclass 400 visa, they not only add value to specific projects but also sow the seeds of cross-border collaboration that enriches the global landscape of expertise.

READ MORE:  Australia Adoption Visa (Subclass 102) – Get the Right Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can family members accompany me on the Temporary Work Visa?

A: Family members may accompany the visa holder if their presence is integral to the project’s success.

Q: Is a job offer mandatory to apply for this visa?

A: While a job offer may not be obligatory, an invitation or nomination from an Australian entity is essential.

Q: Can I apply for an extension if the project duration is extended?

A: Yes, under specific circumstances, applicants can apply for an extension to align with the prolonged project duration.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of Temporary Work Visas I can apply for?

A: There is no set limit, but each application will be assessed based on its merits and alignment with the project’s requirements.

By Michael

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *