Australia Prospective Marriage Visa

What is the Australia Prospective Marriage Visa subclass 300?

The Australia Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300, also known as the fiancé(e) visa, is a temporary visa designed for individuals who are engaged to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. This visa allows you to come to Australia and marry your intended spouse within nine months of visa approval. Once married, you can apply for a partner visa to stay in Australia permanently.

With this visa, you can:

  • Enter Australia before marrying your future spouse.
  • Stay in Australia for 9 to 15 months from the date of visa issuance
  • Seek employment and study in Australia, but you will not be eligible for government financing for tertiary education.
  • Within the nine-month validity term, you may leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you choose.
  • Apply for a Partner Visa (Subclass 820) within 9 months of marrying your fiancé.

Documents to Prove that Your Relationship is Real?

The Australian visa officials will need many documents to establish that your relationship is real. This can include utility statements addressed to both of you in order to show that you share domestic matters, a joint bank account to indicate that you share finances, phone records to show that you communicate when you are apart, pictures of the two of you together and with other people to show that you have spent time together and that other people are aware of your relationship, and so on.

Eligibility Criteria for Australia Prospective Marriage Visas;

  • You must intend to marry your prospective partner before the visa duration expires, and
  •  You must not be a resident of Australia when you apply for this visa.
  • When you apply and when we make an assessment on your temporary visa application, you must be in Australia. Family members who apply with you must also reside in Australia.
  • You must satisfy the Australian health and character requirements.
  • When you apply for the visa and while you are on it, you and everyone who applies with you must have a sponsor. Your spouse is usually your sponsor.

Application Process for The Australia Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300

The application process for an Australia Prospective Marriage Visa subclass 300 involves the following steps and requirements.

  • Eligibility Check
READ MORE:  What is Needed to apply for Australia Carer visa - Subclass 836 & 116

Before applying, ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria, including being engaged to an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, and both parties must be of marriageable age (18 years or older).

  • Gather Required Documents

Collect all necessary documents to support your application. These documents may include, Passport copies, Birth certificates, Evidence of your relationship, such as photographs, communication records, and joint activities, Proof of identity and relationship status, Health and character clearances, including medical examinations and police checks, Statutory declarations from individuals who can vouch for the genuineness of your relationship

  • Complete the Online Application

Go to the official Australian Department of Home Affairs website and complete the online application form for the Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300).

  • Pay the Visa Application Fee

Pay the required visa application fee and also ensure you pay the correct fee and retain the receipt as proof of payment.

  • Submit the Application

Submit your completed application online, ensuring all required information and supporting documents are included.

  • Attend a Visa Interview

You may be required to attend an interview at the nearest Australian embassy or consulate. This interview aims to assess the genuineness of your relationship and your eligibility for the visa.

  • Health and Character Checks

You and any dependent family members included in the application will be required to undergo medical examinations and provide police clearances from countries where you’ve lived for 12 months or more in the past ten years.

  • Visa Processing

The Australia Department of Home Affairs will process your application. Processing times can vary, so it’s advisable to monitor the progress on their official website.

  • Visa Approval

If your application is successful, you will receive a notice showing that your visa has been approved. This document will include the visa approval number, validity dates, and conditions.

  • Plan Your Wedding

After your visa is granted, you should start planning your wedding in Australia. Remember that you must marry your sponsoring partner within the visa’s validity period, typically within nine months from the visa grant.

  • Notify the Department of Marriage
READ MORE:  Australia Skilled Independent Visa - Subclass 189

After the wedding, it’s important to notify the Department of Home Affairs about your marriage. This step is crucial for the transition to a Partner Visa (subclass 820/801).

  • Transition to a Partner Visa

After your marriage and fulfilling the requirements, you can apply for a Partner Visa (subclass 820/801) to remain in Australia with your spouse on a permanent basis.

Australia Partner Visa Costs and Processing Times

Australia Prospective Marriage Visa subclass 300 costs start from AUD8,850.00. While the processing times for this visa may vary from 9 months upwards. It is highly recommended that you use the visa processing time guidance tool to get an idea of how long it will take to process this visa.

*Costs are accurate as of October 2023. Further information is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.

FAQs on the Australia Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300

Q: Can my partner sponsor me if they are a permanent resident and not a citizen?

Ans: Yes, individuals with Australian permanent residency can act as sponsors for this visa. The sponsoring partner must meet certain criteria, including having no previous sponsorship limitations.

Q: What documents do I need to provide as evidence of our relationship?

Ans: You will need to submit a comprehensive range of documents as evidence of your genuine relationship. This includes photographs, joint bank account statements, travel records, shared utility bills, communication records, and statutory declarations from family and friends who can attest to the authenticity of your relationship.

Q: Are there health and character requirements for this visa?

Ans: Yes, both you and any dependent family members included in the application must meet health and character requirements. This typically involves undergoing medical examinations and providing police clearances from all countries where you have lived for 12 months or more in the last ten years.

Q: Can I work or study while holding an Australia Prospective Marriage Visa?

Ans: This visa does not automatically grant work rights. However, you may apply for a Bridging Visa with limited work rights once you are in Australia. You can also study, but you will not have access to government funding for tertiary education.

Q: Can I travel in and out of Australia with this visa?

Ans: Yes, the Australia Prospective Marriage Visa allows for multiple entries and exits within the visa validity period, which is typically nine months. This flexibility is beneficial for planning a wedding or visiting family overseas.

READ MORE:  All About the Australia Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

Q: Can I apply for a Partner Visa after getting married?

Ans: After you have married your Australian partner, you can apply for a Partner Visa (subclass 820/801), which allows you to remain in Australia on a permanent basis. This transition pathway is designed to keep couples together in the long term.

Q: What if our relationship breaks down before getting married?

Ans: If the relationship ends before the intended marriage takes place, the Prospective Marriage Visa will no longer be valid, and you will be required to leave Australia. It’s crucial to inform the Department of Home Affairs about any significant changes in your circumstances to avoid any legal complications.

Q: Can I extend my Prospective Marriage Visa if needed?

Ans: Extensions are generally not possible for this visa. If you need more time in Australia, you may need to explore alternative visa options, which could include applying for a different type of visa.

Q: What happens if I need more time to get married due to unforeseen circumstances, such as the COVID-19 pandemic?

Ans: If you’re unable to marry within the nine-month visa validity period due to exceptional circumstances, you may request an extension in writing to the Department of Home Affairs. These requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Q: Can my partner sponsor me if they have sponsored someone else for a partner visa in the past?

Ans: Sponsors who have previously sponsored someone for a partner visa must wait five years from the time the previous visa application was made or two years from the visa grant, whichever is longer before they can sponsor another partner for a family reunion visa.

Q: What if I become pregnant while holding a Prospective Marriage Visa?

Ans: If you become pregnant before you get married, you can still proceed with the wedding, but it’s essential to inform the Department of Home Affairs and seek advice on how your pregnancy might affect your visa status.

By Michael

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *